Prof. Dr h.c. Jan Wacław Stach (1877 – 1975)
- M.Sc.: 1900, Jagiellonian University, Kraków
- Doctor honoris causa: 1947, Jagiellonian University, Kraków
- Title of Full Professor: 1951, Polish Academy of Sciences
Before beginning his career in our institution in 1919, Jan W. Stach was a school teacher. 1919 to 1939 and then 1945 to 1953 Head of our Physiographical Museum (later Natural History Museum). 1953 to 1960 Director of the entire Institute (then Cracow Branch of the Zoological Institute of the Polish Academy of Sciences. Retired in 1960.
1923 Correspondent Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences and Letters, since 1945 its Full Member. 1958 Full Member of the Polish Academy of Sciences.
In the middle of the 20th century Jan W. Stach was Person Number One worldwide among specialists on Apterygota (especiallly Collembola). His another research interest was paleontology of mammals, especially Neogene carnivores.